In addition to following New York State and City laws applicable to electric pedal-assist bicycles, you must do the following under our rules:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Follow all traffic signs and signals.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Walk bikes on sidewalks; do not ride on sidewalks.
- Use hand signals when turning, and do not weave in and out of traffic.
- Stay alert and don't wear headphones while riding.
There are also best practices that we strongly encourage you to follow. They are:
- Slow down at intersections and look both ways regardless of traffic direction.
- Sudden or strong braking with the left front brake may pitch riders over the handlebars. Always squeeze both brakes smoothly and simultaneously to come to a stop.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing.
- Watch out for car doors and stay out of the "door zone" whenever possible.
- Don’t swerve into traffic to avoid bike lane obstructions.
- Under wet conditions, the stopping power of your brakes and your tire grip is greatly reduced.
- Lower your speed and brake earlier and softer than you normally would to avoid losing control.
- Follow bike lanes where possible.
- Announce yourself when passing others in bike lanes.
A complete list of our safety rules can be found in our [Rental Agreement, here]